In a little less than an hour and a half, I'm going to get a phone call from my mother at about 2:59 p.m. (EST), reminding me of the time I was born. I love it when she calls.
And as usual, I got an early morning phone call from my Dad wishing me a happy birthday too, but he forgot I was at work when he called.
Still, it's such a great blessing that he's reminded of today, as I am of the wonderful parents God has blessed me with.
Each year my Dad does something different for my birthday, which I have no doubt that he does the same for my brother, when he somehow encapsulates the number of years of our lives in a very unique message.
Like this one he sent to my cell phone one year that said, "Rise and shine, you're 39! HBD!"
This morning, one of the guys I work with at The Home Depot wished me a Happy Birthday and nearly in the same breath he said, "WOW, you're getting a lot more gray hair, did you know that? Have you seen it lately?" Thanks, I feel your love. :-)
It is getting a little more gray, but I'm not too worried about it. A few others at work wished me a happy birthday too, which was really nice and it was announced over the PA system too. Thanks to Donna and Debbie. :-)
So, for my birthday I got some great new books (so far) that I'm looking forward to reading this summer, from my mother, father and my mother-in-law:
- Him We Proclaim - Preaching Christ from All the Scriptures by Dennis E. Johnson
- Twelve Ordinary Men - How the Master Shaped His Disciples for Greatness and What He Wants to Do with You by John MacArthur
- Shepherds after My own Heart - Pastoral traditions and leadership in the Bible by Timothy S. Laniak
- A Disruptive Faith - Expect God to Interrupt Your Life by A.W. Tozer
- Brothers We Are Not Professionals - A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry by John Piper