Just a few days ago, I mentioned to my wife that I've noticed a lot of people talking about reading through the entire bible in the new year. More than usual too.
What is most encouraging about this is that there is a hunger for people to know the Word of God, more than just to say they have read the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation, which is a great accomplishment for anyone, even if it is just once! I, on the other hand will be one of those people this year that will hopefully be able to say at some point that I have completed reading the entire Bible for the very first time. After all, as a Christian, this is the book we live by and it would behoove us immensely to know what God has said, from within its pages.
Here are just a few verse from Psalm 119 (ESV) concerning what the Word of God will do for a person:
- I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11
- I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. Psalm 119:16
- Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word. Psalm 119:17
- My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word! Psalm 119:25
- My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! Psalm 119:28
- My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word. Psalm 119:81
- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
- I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil. Psalm 119:162
But once the Bible has been read once entirely, I doubt anyone could ever be satisfied with just that one complete reading of Scripture.